Ear wax is a natural by-product of the ear canal and in most of the population it falls out without any intervention. If it does build up it can cause your hearing to be reduced and a blocked feeling, there are two methods of removing wax, the preferred method today would be microsuction.
At Bryce Hearing Services we recommend that an ear wax softening product, such as Earol Olive Oil Spray, is used for at least a couple of days before your appointment, this will help to soften the built up wax and will make it easier and quicker to remove. However ear drops and sprays of any type must not be used if you have a perforated eardrum!
This is where a special suction device is used to remove the earwax under a microscope. The procedure is quick, safe and painless.
The less common method of wax removal is irrigation, this involves using a pressurised flow of water to gently remove the build-up of wax in the ear canal.
At your appointment you will be asked questions about:
- Pain in either ear
- Vertigo (the sensation of movement when still)
- Hearing loss
These symptoms may be the result of an ear infection and must be treated before wax removal can be performed.
Ear irrigation is not recommended if you have:
- Previously had problems with irrigation, such as pain in your ear or severe vertigo
- A perforated eardrum, or you have had a perforated eardrum in the last 12 months
- A discharge of mucus from your ear, which may indicate an undiagnosed perforation
- Had a middle ear infection (otitis media) in the past six weeks
- A grommet (a small hollow tube surgically inserted into your ear if you have a build up of fluid that causes hearing difficulties)
- Had ear surgery, apart from cases of extruded grommets, within the last 18 months
- A cleft palate (whether repaired or not)
- A foreign body in your ear
- A severe external ear infection (acute otitis externa) with pain in the ear canal or pinna (the visible part of your ear)
A wax removal appointment with Jayne Bryce is priced at £75. Please be aware that due to the current Covid 19 situation we require that payment is made upon booking; if the appointment is cancelled within 24 hours of the appointment and is not rescheduled a full refund will be given. We are operating on a strict appointment only system and cannot allow walk-ins at this time.